Monday, April 14, 2014

April 14, 2014 - Lecanto, Florida w/Sister Murphy

Hey family how are you this week? Well as you know I have been
transferred! I am now in an area called Lecanto. It's way out in the
countryside and it is beautiful out here! It's very green like being
out in the forest (literally) and it's all rolling hills. We don't
bike out here because it's way to hilly and it would take a life time
to get anywhere. We also cover 3 cities - can you believe that?
Beverly Hills, Clearwater, and Inverness and part of Lecanto area are the cities we cover. There is a very small chunk of nice homes out here
but pretty much all the rest is just very run down. A lot of the
people that live here are very old so that's a little weird too.
Everyone out here is a total country bumpkin too. The other day when
Sister Murphy and I were tracting we kept getting comments on how nice
our teeth were, well that's because everyone out here is missing half
of theirs. It was quite surprising haha. Our ward is nice too, but
very old. About 90% percent of the ward is over the age of 75, there
are 3 or 4 youth in the ward and 2 babies. I was way surprised by that
I didn't think such a ward existed. Our church building too is out in
the middle of the forest, you drive down a long street that winds
through the trees and them boom huge church building haha my companion is cool too. Her name is Sister Murphy and she is from Utah of course.  She is 19 and has been out for 3 months now, so super new! She is already such a good missionary though. We get along great so that's nice.

This week was pretty awesome; we had a lot to do! We have a girl we’re visiting named Sarah who wants to be baptized so we set it up for April 26th, she has a smoking habit, but we are helping her to kick that. She is doing really well. I think she will make it on the 26th, it is just going to take a lot of prayers! She has a way cute daughter named Brianna , she is so rambunctious. Every time we go over to visit she runs into me full force and wants me to swing her around. It's so hard not to be able to play with little kids! So I always have to tell her no.
We did have a cool experience this week. We had a lesson with an investigator and we were on our way to the park to meet her and she ended up canceling at the last minute and so we decided to stay and contact at the park even though there was only like 4 people there.  We ended up meeting a guy named Darien. He is 20 and a nice kid. He thought that it was cool that we were on a "missions trip" and he started to talk about how he would like to do one but that there are so many churches that he doesn't know which one he would do it for. He says he is confused as to why there are so many churches, which lead perfectly into Sister Murphy and I being able to testify of the Restoration. We showed him the Mormon Message: the message of the Restoration and then talked about how Joseph Smith had many of the same questions that he has and how he turned to his Heavenly Father to get the answers that he was looking for. We were able to set a return appointment with Darien for later this week. So we are excited for that!
 We also had an awesome Sisters Conference this week, where all the sisters in the mission gathered. It was fun. They had different workshops were we learned how to eat healthy, exercises, hairdos, how to do laundry better and remove stains, etc. and then how to do simple mending things when our clothes tare. So that was nice. Then after that we ate lunch and had a Sister Missionary mall set up where people from all over our mission donated old clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc. So that we could shop and get a few things. I got 2 way cute skirts and a dress, so I was pretty happy about that, and then Sister Murphy and I loaded up on soap and tooth paste, things  like that  because it is so expensive to buy so that was nice. It was really fun and I got to see all of my companions and some ward members from the Lake Reams ward was there so I was happy to see them!

Well I think that I am going to like it out here in Lecanto. The ward is kind of hard to be at, but the area is cool and very big, and it is very pretty out here, and Sister Murphy is great so that will be fun! I am way glad that I have a GPS though so I won't get so lost, everything is just trees and then all of a sudden there are buildings in the trees haha the main stores like walmart are more out in the open, but everything here really is just super hidden, I kind of feel like I am camping out here, even our apartment is out in the trees. I still can't get over the people here, everyone is always half dressed and has a gun strapped to their hip, I feel like I am learning another language too, I haven’t decided what its called yet, but I'm pretty sure its not English, just a mix between old person, hillbilly, southern, and throw in some Spanish and there ya go! And everyone out here thinks Sister Murphy and I are 60 pounds underweight which is so not true haha and they all want to feed us feed us feed us! Ah gosh I am going to have to work at not gaining weight especially since we don't bike! haha

Well anyways that's the fun for this week. Remember to say your prayers and don't walk out the door without your testimony. love you all!
Sister Jamison

P.s. Tyler is way super the cutest I love him

No comments:

Post a Comment