Monday, July 22, 2013

Lake Reams - July 22, 2013


Hey! So this week was way good! Ms. Shirley was baptized and the service was very nice, not a whole ton of people came, but the talks were very good and the musical number was sung by Ashley Keoppel and her father (Mary Eames’ friends) they sang beautifully. Ms. Shirley really enjoyed it too. After she changed and got dressed after the baptism she gave me a hug and said, "I’ve made it, Jesus I've made it" Haha she is so cute. K so amazing miracle happened this week. Since Ms. Shirley's baptism was this week we no longer have a solid investigator that has a baptism date, well this has been stressing Sister Low and I out very badly and we have been tracting like you wouldn't believe and trying to visit our potential investigators all the time to teach them and nothing was happening. Well we have obviously been praying like mad and fasting that Heavenly Father would help us to find someone to teach who was ready for the gospel and still nothing... So Saturday morning we are at the church filling up the font for Ms. Shirley and getting things set up and such and around 10:30 everyone was showing up to the church to take pictures and get ready for the service and all of a sudden a young boy who is 17 named Amir walks through the door.  The ward mission leader and I walk over to him and ask him if he is looking for someone and he says,  "Well yes kind of, my name is Amir and I always ride my bike by this church to see if anyone is here. So I decided to get up today and stop by to see if someone could talk to me about the church and give me a tour or something -k pause (my mouth dropped open in shock) and then he said, I am going to be moving out of my house when I am 18 and I want to find a church and get a strong foundation in Jesus Christ and every time I ride by your church I always want to stop by and go inside and learn more." Wow we were so surprised, we told him that he had come to the right place and that we were actually having a baptism and asked if he would like to stay and he said yes! It was so good, and what was even cooler is that some boys he goes to high school with were there and a big shot football player that goes to school with him is the one baptizing Ms. Shirley and he recognized all of them! It was so cool. After the baptism he said that he enjoyed it and that it felt warm and welcoming and good. He also said he wants to start coming to church and we said yes of course come on Sunday at 11 here in this building! Nothing short of a miracle here. Well on Sunday Amir didn't show up so we stopped by his house that evening and he said that his father had him go to church with him that morning, but that he really wants to come to our church and that he is going to this Sunday. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he would start on it right away, we also invited him to a temple tour on Wednesday night and he is very excited for that. Anthony Hernandez, one of the boys that was at the baptism that goes to school with him is going to come to the temple tour with us so that will be very good. Amir also asked us when we are going to come back and teach him and he said could I give you my phone number so you can call me and come back. Ha! I said yes of course and we got things set up to go and teach him this week. He seriously is like the golden investigator I am so excited about him, he really wants to learn about the church and Jesus Christ. He is a really good levelheaded kid and has got some amazing goals and plans for his life, very determined type that is awesome. Well that’s basically the coolest thing that happened this week. Supposedly there was supposed to be a big hurricane this past weekend, but all that happened was it rained a lot like it usually does. We have driven most of the week, but since we have limited miles we have biked too and we just get soaking wet which can be so annoying because we have to run home and change and throw our clothes in the dryer, but that’s ok I guess... Rain is good... Holy cow though one night we were riding our bikes to a potentials house and there was a gator in the pond we rode by and I swear the thing was 8 feet long, just huge!!! Kinda scary but cool, I wanted to take a picture but we were in such a hurry, I will have to get a picture next time.  We also had some J-Dubs knock at our door during our companion study the other morning. Ha they were trying to give us some hand out type junk and talk about what they believe, umm sounds familiar... But we just introduced ourselves and said that we were missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and they felt so dumb it looked like haha they didn't know what to say to us and so we asked them about their belief in God and how they came to know for themselves. They told us a tiny bit and talked about how we don't earn our way to heaven,(they think that’s what we are trying to do) ya know tryin to stump us and we were like you are right! All we have to do is keep the commandants and have faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement and repent and be baptized by someone who holds the proper authority like John the Baptist in the Bible and receive the gift of the holy ghost and endure to the end, haha they felt so awkward, and we were like well we won’t keep you, would you like one of these pass a long cards to learn more about Christ and they said no of course, but it was funny. Well nothing else exciting, I have to go now! Love you all!
-Sister Jamison

No comments:

Post a Comment