Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014

Hey family, 
So this week was really good, Richard is still doing great and really excited for his baptism.  The other day one of the ward missionaries was at the temple and purchased Richard a really nice set of scriptures in Spanish as a gift for his baptism. I am really excited about that; it will be nice for him to have! 
We have been struggling though I guess you could say with finding new people to teach. We have found a few solid potentials but nothing to good yet. We met a man the other night named Wallace and he was a potential from our Area Book. And so we went and visited him and guess what is so crazy about him? We introduced ourselves and he was like oh ya I just got done reading your Bible, and we were like uh what do you mean? And he said " I will show you, be right back." Then he walks back out to us holding the Book of Mormon and he says, "This book, I just got done reading this book and I love it, I read it all the time, it's on of my favorites." Well we were more than shocked and we asked him when he got that book and he said "ohh like 30 years ago." WHAT... That is so crazy.  We asked him if we could come back and talk to him more about the Book of Mormon and what he liked about it and he said that we could but that he is really busy all of the time.  He sleeps all day and wakes up at 6pm so that he can get ready to go to work.  He does a taxi business and he drives all night long, and he was also telling us how his wife is a schoolteacher and that she is at work all day during the school year, so they really never get to see each other. Wallace also plays the guitar and he plays gigs for churches. So we definitely have some obstacles with him. But if we were able to set up times to meet with him in his busy life he would be the most solid investigator there ever was! So I am really hoping that something will happen. But if not I think he will be ok because he so is going to get baptized one day.
We also had a bit of an interesting night last night. Sister Petersen and I were out trying to contact less actives and potentials and whomever we could find and we went to visit a less active family that we had never met before, well holy cow is not the sufficient term to explain what happened.  We knocked on the door and you could see the lady looking at us through the window at the top and then we heard her say, "How did they find us, what are the doing here!!" Then she flung open the door stepped out and got right in our face and yelled "Who are you!" and I said we are the missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of and then she cut me off and yelled "What do you want!" And then she proceeded to say some other colorful things that I won't repeat, and was yelling at us about our church and the prophet, etc. etc. and how she is not a member anymore. And so we tried to explain what she could do so that she wouldn't be a member anymore and that unless she did so other members of the church unknowing of her feelings toward the church were inevitably going to stop by in the future. Well she didn't listen and continued to yell over us and wave her arms up in the air, and then she walked back inside and slammed the door and you could hear her yelling at her husband about how did they find us and why this and why that.  So we left her a nice note telling her we were sorry if we upset her and what she could do to remove herself, etc. etc.  But wow I was so shocked, it has been quite a while since someone yelled at me quite like that, but man she really just went ballistic on us. Oh well when we left I just felt really sorry for her. She doesn't realize what she is doing.  I think that's what brings me the most sadness on my mission is when people get so upset with you and call you things and you just think, Jeeze I don't care what you say or do to me, but please you don't realize what you are giving up and what situation you are putting yourself in! We had another experience similar to this one this week as well. I was on exchanges with my old MTC companion Sister Thomson, and we were out tracting and some man got really mad at us and was calling us all sorts of things and saying that we were crazy and a cult and that  we worshiped Joseph Smith and junk like that. He was a bit more civil though and at least allowed us to say that we only worship Jesus Christ, but for the most part he was just rude too. Oh well I guess... One day they will all learn. I just hope that I am the one that gets to teach these people again, I so want to see their faces when the realize what the truth is... *sigh* 
Well I wish I could write more but my time is up. I love you all and I will see you really soon! 

Sister Jamison

No comments:

Post a Comment