Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16, 2013

Dear Family!
Hello Hello! I hope all of you are doing well this week! My week has been pretty dang good! Sister Salvesen and I worked so hard this week I feel like I could sleep for the next month! Well let’s see!
This past week was our Zone Training Meeting and I trained the missionaries on key indicators and how to weekly plan more effectively.  Key indicators are basically just data that shows someone for progression, for instance investigators at church, or member present lessons so they can form a fellowship, etc. It went pretty well, I still get sick nervous to talk in front of people, you would think I wouldn't have the problem anymore but I do. It was good though. We also had a super awesome lesson with Sammy our 14-year-old investigator.  We talked about getting things together for his baptism and also talking with his guardian/older brother Omar to get permission to get things rollin', Sammy is scheduled to be baptized on January 11th, so pray your little hearts out that nothing will stand in his way! He is so ready and just wants to be baptized but has had so many hoops to jump through that it hasn't happened yet with the other sisters that taught him, but Sister Salvesen and I were like heck no! We are doing everything in our power to help him, and we know it's going to go through! We also had a great lesson with our other kid investigator Kaitlyn, we talked to her all about the church, young women's program and mutual and she was way excited about it all!  It was nice to because a way cute Beehive who will be in Kaitlyn's class came to the lesson with us, Emma Wettingfield, (Her mother is the YW President) it was so good and Kaitlyn was excited to meet a friend that she will have from the church and she will be there this Sunday! Woo hoo!
K so we also had Brenda's funeral this week and it was so not what I expected ha - so, the morning of, Sister Slavesen and I went to Geniva's house and we waited there for an hour before we actually left.  We ended up catching a ride with some of their family and on the way of course we got lost and arrived 20 minutes late.  But they couldn't start without us because the parents and brother and sister were in the car with us and so they were the main people to be there, so they delayed it until we got there.  It was obviously way different than I am used to, being they’re in an Episcopalian church, but hey who am I to judge.  Right as we got there the organist man called me over and asked what we were going to sing and I showed him the music for God be with you till we meet again, and then he started to asked me what key to play it in and I just said oh well we are going to sing it acapella, well he refused that answer and proceeded to tell me how he thought we should sing it, I then said how about you just play what is written ha, he said don't worry darlin I will add some flare and it will sound real good.  From that point I knew it was going to be disastrous, the funeral then started and after a few prayers were read it was our turn, the priest lady called us up (which bothered me because she said the missionaries from a latter day saint church) ummm Hello the church of JESUS CHRIST!!! Anyways we got up and the man started to play on the piano, it supposedly was our song but sounded nothing like it. He started the beginning of the musical number with a fancy solo and then we started to sing, he played it all wrong and our voices didn't match the music half the time.  At the end of the 1st verse he played another solo and then started to play the second verse, well ok then at the end of the 2nd verse we expected him to play another solo thing so we stopped singing and he just went right into the chorus again, but we thought he was going to start from the beginning of the song.  So we began to sing God be with and he started playing till we meet, then we all stopped, once again we started to Sing God be with and he started to play Till we meet... We all stopped again... Then.  So we waited to see if he would just start again from the beginning so that we could finish and then he stopped right at the chorus turned around and yelled, "did ya want me to play verse 3 again??" we nodded mortified and he said Ok "I’ll do that" Then we went on to sing the last verse trying not to laugh of embarrassment...  I couldn't believe it, it was so terrible, and thank goodness the family realized that it wasn't our fault because the organist also messed up the other musical number as well... It was so odd I felt bad that they had to pay for that guy, he butchered the opening and closing hymns too as he played them all to quickly, changing keys and organ sounds every verse, and very, very loud no one could hear themselves sing or think for that matter.  Gosh the whole service - musically speaking did not go well ha. I think it was hard for the family. But after they all had a nice lunch and I was able to play some calm hymns, which was nice.  Then Ralph (Brenda's brother, Geniva’s husband) came over and started to play some black solo music it was so cool and they all gathered around and were clapping their hands and singing, it was fun. I was glad to see that they could lighten up a bit.  One of the cute, cute granddaughters Yana ( Yah- Nay) came over to me as I was clappin and singin with them and hugged me real big and said you are my best friend, I bent down by her and hugged her and we danced and clapped together it was fun.
Last night we had Stake Mission Training, for all the missionaries, bishops, Ward missionaries/leaders and the ward council members.  It was really good, all about coordinating our efforts better.  President Berry and President Wood were there speaking to us all and we got some really good advice! It was a good week and this week my district is going to go around to the whole district different nights and carol and try and contact many people who are our for the holidays!  It will be very fun! Well that's all for now! Love you all! Merry Christmas and I can't wait to talk to you all next week!

Sister Jamison

No comments:

Post a Comment