Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5, 2014

Hey family!
Well this week has been pretty good. Sister Murphy and I have been working a ton with the less actives and part member families here and it has been going pretty good. We have so many less actives and part member families we could make 3 more wards just from ours, but no one comes to church (haha) however, we are working really hard to meet with all these people and see where they are at. We also had the opportunity to go and do service this week for Habitat for Humanity.  We were supposed to help in building a house, but we got rained out, so we ended up going to the ware house and helping out there for like 3 hours so that was fun.  We did a lot or organizing and cleaning, etc. things like that. I also unfortunately got a sinus infection... ugh it is miserable but I have still been able to work so that is good. I went to the doctor this morning and got a prescription and so I am hoping that it will help.  I hate being sick as a missionary, there is so much to do and so little time and you just feel like you can't let it slip away from you because this is all you have.  I really hate when I feel that I don't get as much done, as I want to. Well I just have to tell you all again how grateful I am for the gospel and how having a gospel-centered home really has blessed me so much.  During our service at for Habitat for Humanity this week there was a woman there promoting classes that we can either take or that we can sign up to give to teach things to less fortunate people such as " How to have a healthy relationship with friends, family or special others, how to cook simple healthy dinners, how to do laundry, how to maintain proper hygiene, how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, etc." I also heard many of the volunteers complaining about their children's education and how they should not be wasting time learning about history or complex mathematics, but how to cook and sew and fix a car and fill out taxes, you know the "everyday stuff" All I can say is that I was shocked.
All of these classes you could pay to go an learn basic things that will help you to be a better person, or feel better or what not and all I could think was, that there should be no need to have to pay to learn any of these things. Most of everything that they were mentioning are things that a person should learn in the home, basic skills that you practice growing up. I am so grateful for the structure of the gospel and the importance of families and learning in families.  Most of, if not all of, my life skills, and how to live day to day and function as a person has come from what I learned in the home, or in the homes of friends. It is so sad to see these basic things that people struggle with and the only honest answer that could help them is the gospel. Centering our lives around Jesus Christ and his teachings and the teachings of our living latter-day prophets protects us and helps us to be the people we want to be, it gives us motivation to be better, be smarter, want to do more, expand ourselves. I wish everyone would realize what a fool proof system the gospel is. Jesus Christ is a foundation that will not fall, which means his teachings are perfect and cannot fail.  When we have complications in our lives regarding the consequences of our own decisions it is because we have not lived up to the teachings of Jesus Christ, not because His teaching were inadequate for our particular circumstances.  The gospel is so vital, that is why we need to share it!
Well family I would write more but I am going to be talking to you on Sunday! I cant wait and I am not positive when I will be calling, but you all can plan on around 4ish Utah time and so that would be 5 Texas time! Love you all!

Sister Jamison

No comments:

Post a Comment